Thursday 6 February 2014

Inviting Dirty Hitchhikers Home for a Bath


Some years ago I was returning home from work on a city bus in Vancouver.  For some reason I began to think about how hard it was to get personally involved with real people in real need.  As I thought about this I noticed two filthy dirty men on the bus.  The thought came into my mind that I should invite them home for a bath.  I had the strong impression that this is what God wanted me to do.      

The two men were not sitting close to me, but  I could hear their conversation.  While I thought  about the idea of inviting them home for a bath one of them asked a person sitting near them whether they knew a place where they could go to clean up. 

My stop was the end of the bus line at the University of British Columbia.   The two men got off at this stop as well.  We got into a conversation about where they could go to clean up.  My first suggestion was the UBC swimming pool. I was understandably reluctant to invite them home for a bath.  The very next words out of my mouth were, "But you are too dirty. They will never let you in.  You had better come to my house for a bath."
By the time we got to the small apartment where I lived with my husband and three children I had also invited them to have supper with us.  Now I had a problem.  How do you tell your husband that you have invited dirty hitchhikers from the bus home for a bath?
I left them standing at the corner of the apartment building and went in.  I spoke very rapidly to my husband saying, "I have invited two dirty hitchhikers home for supper and a bath."  I turned and ran out before my husband could respond.  The two men ate with us, washed their clothes and had a bath. 
It turned out these two men were bible school students on spring furlough.  They had been hitchhiking when it started to rain and had hopped into a box car that had previously carried coal.  They were delighted that God had provided a woman on the bus willing to invite them home for a bath. 

No comments:

Post a Comment